As a pet parent, you want your furry friend to be happy and well-behaved. But, if your dog acts naughty, dealing with their behavior can be frustrating.
Proper dog training will change the way your dog acts and thinks, which alleviates everyone’s stress. Dog training takes educated trainers and your continued reinforcement at home to be successful. It can be a lot of work, but it’s so worth it when you see your pup finally start to understand you and follow proper rules. If you’re struggling to get through to your pet, take heart – these top dog training tips from the pros will help get you both on the right track.
- Start early. One of the most important aspects of puppy development is socialization. This involves introducing your puppy to new people, animals, places, and experiences in a positive way so that they will grow into well-adjusted adult dogs. A key part of socialization is providing puppies with plenty of opportunities to learn how to behave appropriately in various situations. For that reason, it’s important to start training your dog early so it can learn good habits from the start. Dogs are never too old to learn, but it’s easier to teach a puppy than an adult dog. Enrolling your puppy in a good training program is a great way to get started. There are many different types of training programs available, so be sure to find one that is suitable for your pup’s age and temperament.
- Start with the basics. Basic manners are the foundation that all other dog training is built upon. Make sure your dog masters these before moving on to anything else. Dogs respond well to positive reinforcement, so make sure you are rewarding your dog for good behavior rather than punishing him for bad behavior (see tip 5). Once your dog has mastered manners, you can move on to more advanced training.
- Be consistent. In other words, every time you give a command, make sure you follow through with it. If you only enforce the rules on occasion, your dog will quickly become confused and won’t know what is expected of him. Dogs thrive on consistency and predictability. If you are consistent in your commands and expectations, your dog will learn faster and be better behaved overall.
- Be patient. Training takes time, consistency, and patience. Don’t get discouraged. Keep at it. Eventually, you will see the progress you are hoping for. Just like people, our furry pals learn at different rates, and some will require more patience than others. It is important to not get frustrated if your dog is not catching on as quickly as you would like. Be sure to praise them when they do something well and give them plenty of encouragement, and your dog will quickly start making strides.
- Use positive reinforcement. Dogs do not respond well to punishment, and it can actually make behavior problems worse. If your dog is misbehaving, instead of punishing him, redirect his attention to something else or try positive reinforcement. For example, if your dog is barking, have him sit and stay before giving him a treat. Dogs respond best to treats, praise, and petting. Use these rewards when your dog is behaving the way you want him to, and he will learn that good behavior is its own reward.
BONUS TIP! When it comes to training your dog, enrolling in a professional program, like those available at Paws and Play Pet Resort, is always the best option. Not only will you be able to get expert dog training tips from an experienced trainer, but you’ll also be able to take advantage of their knowledge and resources for years to come.
A professional dog training program will also offer your dog a structured and proper environment in which to train. This is important because it will help your dog learn new behaviors more quickly and effectively. Distractions are very important to training success. Having your dog trained with educated experts, ensures your dog is able to listen to you even when distractions are present.
Dogs can take some time to learn certain commands. But training should be enjoyable as well as enriching. The pet care specialists at Paws and Play Pet Resort can help. We offer a variety of programs that are perfect for your dog’s individual needs, as well as a comfortable and encouraging environment in which to train. Additionally, the resort’s experienced trainers can provide one-on-one attention and support. Contact us today to learn more!